Sat, Apr 15|
Growing West Coast Gardeners Workshop Series
New to gardening in the Pacific Northwest? In 4 modules spaced throughout the growing season, you'll learn from expert gardeners the do's and don'ts of food cultivation for our temperate rainforest climate. Contact us if you have any questions (email@example.com).
Time & Location
Apr 15, 2023, 9:00 a.m. – Oct 15, 2023, 4:00 p.m.
Načiks/Monks Point, 174 West St., Tofino, BC
Growing West Coast Gardeners is a 4 module workshop series designed to support the beginner gardener to grow food on the coast. *Tickets are sold out for the 2023 workshop series. Contact us to be put on a waitlist & be the first to hear when registration opens for 2024.*
- At the end of this program, every participant will have successfully grown & eaten produce from their garden.
- Each participant will receive tangible tools & information that advance their foundational knowledge of gardening on the west coast.
- Each participant will have a clear path of “what to do next?” in their gardening journey.
- Each participant will have made clear choices to plan their garden & what they want to grow.
* A welcome package with goodies to get you started on your growing journey
* 4 full days of classroom & hands-on activities
* Handouts & additional resources to support further learning
* Small-group instruction with expert gardeners
* Access to a private discussion group to get support from our team & build community with other growers between the in-person modules
* Take-home gardening materials & supplies
Thanks to the generous support of funders, we were able to offer this pilot program at a subsidized cost for our first round of participants. Details for a 2024 course are still in the works and are funding dependent. We hope to offer the course again and will make it as accessable as we can. Follow our social media and newsletter to stay up to date!
- The program is valued at $530/participant.
- Please contact us if you would like a bursary spot
Sat, Apr 15 - 9am-3:30pm
Course Introduction & Module 1 - Planning Your Garden
In this module, you will learn the importance of assessing your space and planning ahead for a successful growing season. As a group, we will have the opportunity to learn about a variety of gardening set ups, sharing about our own spaces to gain a well-rounded understanding of how we can garden anywhere! Whether you have a small outdoor patio or a large forested property, this course will provide an introduction so that you feel confident in creating a new growing space or maximizing the potential of what you already have established. Lecture by an experienced gardener will be complemented with hands-on learning including building a lasagna garden and creating a blueprint of your future garden.
- Gain an understanding of what can be grown successfully on the west coast.
- Feel confident in assessing your space based on growing conditions.
- Learn how to choose appropriate materials (seeds, soil, containers) required for gardening.
Sun, Apr 16 - 9am-4pm
Module 2 - Starting Your Garden
In this module, you will learn everything you need to know to confidently select seeds and seedlings that will do well in your garden. We will experiment with different methods for starting your own seeds and understand the considerations for direct sowing vs. transplanting seedlings. Another integral part of starting your garden is having nutrient-rich soil and finding affordable ways to amend the soil throughout the season. Together, we’ll assemble a worm composter as one option for building soil that is cost and space effective. Lecture by an experienced gardener will be complemented with hands-on learning - let’s get dirty!
- Learn how to read seed packages and choose appropriate seeds and seedlings for your unique growing environment.
- Learn different methods for starting seeds and how to transplant them.
- Learn how to build a simple worm composter to supplement your garden with nutrients.
Sun, May 14 - 9am-4pm
Module 3 - Maintaining Your Garden
In this module, you will learn what it takes to keep your garden alive and thriving. As a group we will check back in with the demonstration garden and learn through action the importance of different watering and mulching methods. You will also learn the important skills of identifying pests and disease, and how best to solve some of those common garden challenges. At the end of the day, you will learn about the importance of continuously amending your soil and we will demonstrate making compost tea.
- Learn how to assess your plants, and provide what they need to remain happy and healthy.
- Learn how to identify common garden pests and diseases.
- Learn how to ‘brew’ compost tea to supplement your garden with nutrients.
Sun, Oct 15 - 9am-4pm
Module 4 - Harvest Celebration
In this module you will learn all you need to know about your fall/winter garden - how to harvest what you’ve grown, how to put your garden to bed, and how to set yourself up for success the following year.
- Learn how to save seeds to plant for the following year.
- Learn about cover crops and how to protect the soil you’ve built.
- Understand what comes next - GARLIC.